Penrice Feby. 18th 1824
My dear Henry,
Aunt Harriot <1> has just sent me 2 drawings to copy for you.- They are views of Moreton <2> which were taken by Charry <3> when she was there, so you may depend on their being like the place. I have just done them, so I send them off directly as I was desired, that they may catch you before you go out of England.- I hope you have been to see the Panorama of Portici <4> which Jane <5> said you were going to see with her & Mr. Nicholl <6> & Uncle William, <7> I think it must be very pleasant to imagine yourselves there again.
I am sorry to be obliged to crumple the two drawings if Aunt Harriot had but sent them to me a few days ago, Sir Christopher <8> would have been able to take them to you but he went on Monday & I received them yesterday.- Mary <9> bids me say that she wrote to you some days ago and directed the letter to No. 17 Sackville St. so she supposes you will never get her letter.- How you do move about! I have just gum-water over the two drawings and so I hope they will not rub.- As it seems the fashion to give you commissions I think I shall do so too, so pray try to get me some little Italian Body Colour drawings.- They are about as big as half the space I have left at the top of this letter <10> & they are not very like the place they are meant for, Jane says, but I do not mind that- We saw some once which a young lady had, & Jane & Charry tried to copy them but could not succeed.- I hope it will not be giving you too much trouble.-
I am you very affectionate Cousin
W. H F. Talbot Esqre
27 Duke Street
[Two pencil drawings are with the letter, each folded in half, but still protected by Emma's gum-water wash]
1. Harriot Georgiana Mundy, née Frampton (1806-1886), WHFT’s cousin & sister-in-law.
2. Moreton, Dorset: home of the Frampton family.
3. Charlotte Louisa 'Charry' Traherne, née Talbot (1800-1880), WHFT's cousin.
4. Outside Naples, Italy - WHFT and other family members had visited there in 1823. See Doc. No: 01059. The show of Pompeii, Mt Vesuvius and "a splendid display of the beautiful surrounding country" had recently opened at The Panorama, on the Strand, London.
5. lawJane Harriot Nicholl, née Talbot (1796–1874).
6. Dr John Nicholl (1797-1853), MP.
7. William Thomas Horner Fox Strangways - 4th Earl Ilchester (1795-1865); WHFT's favourite uncle; botanist, art collector & diplomat.
8. Sir Christopher Cole (1770-1836), Captain, MP & naval officer and WHFT's uncle.
9. Mary Thereza Talbot (1795-1861), WHFT's cousin.
10. The space she left blank is approximately 8 x 20 cm.