I go to Abb. <1> with Susan <2> on Monday next – & will not fail to send you specimens I suppose ferns, Acacias, & other plants of light foliage & semi transparent flowers <3> will do best. What do you think of the Munich plan of drawing on smoked glass – you might make a Solar eclipse draw itself at different stages of occultation.
Can moonlight be made use of? what pretty transparencies & Scenes & vander Neers <4> might be drawn.
The Vienna Messenger was to go last night but he is detained for a day or two – & then Endlicher’s <7> packet will go.
W F S
I think Phrygia Armenia & Media sufficiently near to have had the same traditions – the true Ararat <8> being in the centre the story spread both ways & stuck like the Ark to the first great Alp it met
1. Abbotsbury, Dorset: home of William Thomas Horner Fox Strangways.
2. His cousin Susannah, daughter of the Rev the Hon Charles Redlynch Strangways.
3. Probably for photogenic drawing.
4. Arnout van der Neer (1603–1677), Dutch painter noted for his moonlight scenes.
5. Prof Joseph Franz Frieherr von Jacquin (1766–1839), Austrian botanist.
6. Michel Tenore (1780–1861), Italian botanist & traveller.
7. István László Endlicher (1804–1849), Viennese botanist and philologist.