44 Pulteney St <1>
My dear Henry
I sent you a small microscope the other day which I should think you ought to receive about the same time as this letter. there is but one good optician here and the only magnifier I could find like your description belonged to this microscope, so I sent it, with its appurtenances, when screwed all together it is like this [illustration] but you may use it without the Brass tube x – I am afraid after all that there is not one magnifier of the great power which you wished for but in London, we will go to to [sic] my favourite shop Jones’s and there we can have choice this glass will help to pass the time till we meet – I can assure you I feel much pleasure at the thought of visiting you & your companion at Harrow. <2> I donot [sic] know what he will do when you leave it – Jane Charry & Emma <3> arrived thursday [sic] & the 3 days have gone so fast that I can hardly believe so much has elapsed this is I think a sign of happiness, tho’ generally a source of regret, one always wishes happy days to be long ones. The seeds you sent me are sowd [sic] but Jane cannot tell whether any of them have vegetated tho’ they have been in the ground this long time. give my love to Kit <4> and tell him I intend writing to him very soon – I have seen several sights that [will?]<5> be amusing to recount tho’ I am afraid my account will not be very intelligible, this paper is so bad I can scarcely write upon it. Jane scrapes all the old Walls with great perseverance
M: L: T:
2. Harrow School: WHFT attended from 1811–1815 and his son Charles from 1855-1859.
3. Jane Harriot Nicholl, née Talbot (1796–1874); Charlotte Louisa 'Charry' Traherne, née Talbot (1800–1880), WHFT’s cousin; Emma Thomasina Llewelyn, née Talbot (1806–1881), photographer; WHFT’s Welsh cousin.
4. Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot (1803–1890), immensely wealthy landowner, mathematician & politician; WHFT’s Welsh cousin.
5. Text torn away under seal.
6. Rev George Butler (1774–1853), Headmaster at Harrow.
7. Written in another hand at the back of address panel.