My Dear Henry
We shall be delighted to have you, and if you can make your week a month you will please us all – They talk of spending a day or two at Trelowarren (Sr R Vyvyan) <3> on Monday sennight <4> to see from thence the Lizard & Kinans cove<5> – but possibly that engagement will not hold water for so long before hand – but this would make no difference in yr time; for it will be a good opportunity for you to see those lions, if we go there – & if we do not, we shall make much of you at home – If you travel in the mail – I recommend your taking the Plymouth mail, which will carry you from Dorchester to Plymouth in 10 or 12 hours and you may have a good nights rest there before the mail leaves Plymouth for this place; which is an affair of 9 hours –
I am dear Henry yr affte
1. Melbury, Dorset: one of the Fox Strangways family homes; WHFT was born there.
2. Moreton, Dorset: home of the Frampton family.
3. Trelowarren House and Estate on the Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, home of Sir Richard Rawlinson Vyvyan, 8th Bart (1800-1879), Tory MP, FRS. He gained his title on 27 January 1820 upon the death of his father, establishing the earliest year of this letter.
4. A period of seven days and nights; a week.
5. Kynance Cove just north of the Lizard Point. An area popular with Victorian visitors for its red and green serpentine rock and for its rock formations. Lion Rock is a noted promontory running into the sea.
6. Carclew, Cornwall, 3 mi N of Penryn: seat of Sir Charles Lemon.
7. Perran Wharf; its foundry was one of the largest in Cornwall.