[on mourning paper]
My dear Talbot
I hope Marian’s <1>letter of yesterday to Constance <2> would be some comfort to her, as it gave her some particulars which she would naturally wish to know. With regard to your question about Ela <3> my Sisters <4> desire me to say that they would prefer your either sending or coming for her soon, as they do not quite like the responsibility of having her, especially as she is cutting her teeth. We also wish you both to be aware that if you intend leaving Town & like to pick her up either in your way to Lacock or elsewhere, you need not be afraid of coming here on our account – indeed I almost think if
she Constance cd come & see us & get it over would be best, but of her feelings on this point you must be the best judge. My Father <5> & Sisters have certainly no intention of leaving this place at present. We are very glad you persuaded Constance to drive out, it would be the best thing in the world for her. In regard to the funeral <6> my Fathers first impulse was for it to take place at Allestree, but on second thoughts considering the great distance & the disgusting scenes that often take place on such occasions from the drunkenness of the attendants &c he has [illegible deletion] determined for it to be here, & I believe it will take place on Thursday next. I am thankful to be able to give the most comfortable account of my sisters. Marian has I am happy to say sustained this dispensation with perhaps more composed resignation than the other two. Laura was a good deal knocked up the first Eveng but is pretty well today –
Ever yours most truly
H. F. Talbot Esqre
1. His sister-in-law, Marian Gilder, née Mundy (1806 – 14 October 1860); m. 6 August 1844 William Troward Gilder (d. 1871), Army Surgeon (ret).
2. Constance Talbot, née Mundy (1811–1880), WHFT’s wife.
3. Ela Theresa Talbot (1835–1893), WHFT’s 1st daughter.
4. Marian; Laura Mundy (1805–1842); Emily Mundy(1807–1839).
5. Francis Mundy (1771–1837), MP for Derby
6. His mother, Sarah Leaper Mundy, née Newton, WHFT’s mother in law, died on 10 March 1836.