My dear Henry
It is very shabby of you not to write us a word now you are at the fountain head – & we are panting for news. Pray tell us all you can scrape up.
Uncle John <1> arrived here yesterday evening, from Abbotsbury <2> in his way up The Gents are still here – Lord Valletort <3> is coming. Kerry <4> came over this morng with Mr Twopenny <5> who is now sketching in the Men’s kitchen. We are delighted to hear Lord Howe <6> is out. We have made out a list of Peers sons that might be called up to the House of Lords – we have found 45 without counting those who could not be spared out of the Hs of Commons such as Lord Althorpe <7>.
I have heard from Caroline Payne, <8> they are established at Brighton. Papa <9> grille d’aller à Londres <10> to see the fun. Mr Moore <11> is gone there to take leave of Sir W. Scott. <12> They say Mr Farquharson’s house in Dorsetshire has been burnt. He voted for Lord Ashley <13> after voting for Calcraft. <14>
Addio caro <15> pray write
Your affte sister
Henry Fox Talbot Esqre
31 Sackville Street
1. John George Charles Fox Strangways (1803–1859), MP.
2. Abbotsbury, Dorset: home of William Thomas Horner Fox Strangways.
3. Ernest Augustus Edgcumbe, Lord Valletort, 3rd Earl of Mt Edgcumbe (1797–1861), WHFT’s brother-in-law.
4. William Thomas Fitzmaurice, Earl of Kerry (1811–1836), MP.
5. William Twopeny (1797-1873), barrister, antiquary & accomplished amateur artist, London.
6. Lord Howe, Tory statesman.
7. Misspelling of John Charles Spencer, Viscount Althorp, 3rd Earl of Spencer (1782–1845), politician.
8. Lady Caroline Payne.
9. Rear Admiral Charles Feilding (1780–1837), Royal Navy; WHFT’s step-father.
10. It’s burning to go to London.
11. Thomas Moore (1780–1852), Irish poet.
12. Sir Walter Scott (1771–1832), novelist and poet.
13. Anthony Ashley Cooper, Lord Ashley, 7th Earl of Shaftsbury (1801–1885), MP.
14. John Hales Calcraft (1796–1880), MP, Sheriff of Dorset, 1867.
15. Goodbye dear.
16. Lady Elisabeth Theresa Feilding, née Fox Strangways, first m Talbot (1773–1846), WHFT’s mother.
17. Text obscured by seal.