Send me back Martius’s <1> letter when you have read it – I enclose a note from Emily <2> – I know Malison <3> is reckoned a good gardener if other conditions suit he would put yours in good order for a futu[re]<4> one – Mr Lambert <5> is in town – he promis[ed] me a hardy Poinciana which is a novelty – Will the Comet <6> be as fine in January as now & higher in the sky? till we get frosty nights there is no chance of seeing it.
W F S
1835 London October thirty one W F Strangways
Henry F. Talbot Esq
1. Dr Carl Friedrich Philipp von Martius (1794–1868), German botanist.
2. Amelia ‘Emily’ Matilda Murray (1795–1884), author.
4. Written off the edge of page.
5. Aylmer Bourke Lambert (1761–1842), botanist.
6. Halley’s comet appeared in 1835.