19 Feby 1839
I have an application to rent Reybridge Cottage, <2> which I think it better to communicate at once The Applicant is a Mr Benjm Collett who has rented a Farm of Lord Methuen <3> for upwards of 20 Years which he is now leaving in consequence of some new arrangement arising out of the Railway I understand that he has a good income in right of his Wife & consequently does not wish at present to take another Farm He has a family of Six or Seven Children but considers the Cottage large enough and is willing to give the same rent as Mr John Awdry <4> did As he is anxious to have an Answer as early as possible May I beg the favor of a line at your earliest convenience.
Croker <5> has to day spoken to me about the Abbey Land which he has rented during the last Year his term expires on the 1st of March and he is desirous of Continuing it for another Year (Subject to you taking it in hand at any time if you should wish to do so) he offers £50· for one year, undertaking to feed the whole last Year he gave £60- and mowed it the price of Hay being then unusually high My father <6> agrees with me in thinking his proposal very fair
In case you should decide against taking Mr Collett as Tenant of Reybridge Cottage perhaps you will give me directions as to advertising it, previous to Lady day.<6>7
I remain, dear Sir Your obliged & Obed Serv.
1. Chippenham, Wiltshire: largest town near Lacock, 3 miles N.
2. A cottage in Reybridge, Wiltshire, 1 mi N of Lacock.
3. Paul Methuen, Baron Methuen (17791849), MP.
4. John Awdry (17661844), solicitor, Reybridge.
5. A tenant of Lacock.
6. William Henry Awdry (17781847), solicitor, Chippenham.
7. Lady Day is one of the traditional English quarter days, the Feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin, on 25 March.