My dear Henry
I am glad to find the séjour <1> of Cowes is so agreeable – but our solitude is not at all dull I assure you. We contrive to while away our time pleasantly enough. Mr Vivian <2> has been here since Wednesday – I really do not know what to make of him – he is evidently loth to go away yet he is so cautious & imperturbable that one hardly perceive [sic] that he prefers Louisa <3> to the rest. By the bye I must tell you of a marriage in the family – George Finch is going to marry Lady Louisa Somerset, <4> one of the Duke of Beaufort’s <5> daughters – he wrote to Papa <6> to announce it yesterday. She is a Saint of course, but it is a very good connection for him & she is a good age about 26 – I suppose you have heard of Lady Susan Hamilton’s marriage with Lord Lincoln <7> – he has not yet completed his studies & is going back to Oxford – Adieu the postangi <8> is waiting –
Yr affte sister
W. Henry Fox Talbot Esqr
2. Sir Richard Hussey Vivian (1775–1842), politician.
3. Louisa Charlotte Frampton (1808-1885), author.
4. On 22 October 1832, George Somerset Finch (1794–1870), JP & MP, married Lady Louisa Elizabeth Somerset (1806-1892); it was his 2nd marriage.
5. Henry Charles Somerset, 6th Duke of Beaufort (1766-1835).
6. Rear Admiral Charles Feilding (1780–1837), Royal Navy; WHFT’s step-father.
7. Henry Alexander Pelham-Clinton, Duke of Newcastle and Lady Susan Harriet Hamilton.
8. Probably Horatia made up this word by mixing the Italian and English languages.