Abbotsbury Castle <1>
My dear Henry
Your letter gave me the greatest possible satisfaction – I read with delight your description of her <2> whom you have chosen for your companion in life & who, if it is correct, cannot fail of making you as happy as you deserve to be and I am sure if you make as good a husband as you have always been a brother, she will have nothing to complain. I was also delighted to hear that we are to live together at Laycock which is a charming plan – I had had dismal misgivings of leaving the dear old Abbey when you married – & I doubt not we shall get on uncommonly well all together – I quite long to get acquainted with her, & beg you will tell her how much I wish for it, & that I hope she is much disposed [sic] as I am to love her as a sister – Adieu dearest brother I am so glad to think you are happy
Your affte sister
H. F. Talbot
1. Abbotsbury, Dorset: home of William Thomas Horner Fox Strangways.
2. Constance Talbot, née Mundy (1811–1880), WHFT’s wife.
3. Somerset Lowry-Corry, 2nd Earl Belmore (1774–1841), Governor of Jamaica, and his wife, Lady Juliana, Countess Belmore, née Butler (1783-1861).
4. Moreton, Dorset: home of the Frampton family.
5. Rear Admiral Charles Feilding (1780–1837), Royal Navy; WHFT’s step-father.