Saty Night Nr 22
My Dear Henry
I hear from various quarters that you are in town, that you are coming Westward & the last accounts even say that you are to be at Melbury <2> next week – This being promised, I write to beg you will change your visit to Melby with me here, as your Uncle Harry <3> is coming to us the 3d of December for some days, & Ld Cory <4> if he is still there besides other folk – Pray consent to my proposition & come here at latest Wednesday the 3d – we shall be at home from the 1st therefore it if suits you better to come then pray do
but & you must stay at least as long as Harry does Let me know if you agree to my scheme, for you must recollect I am not like your Mother <5> who enjoys uncertainty & anxiety &c &c I must have a specific answer when & where & how – more especially as we shall be probably so full after Wednesday that you may chance to find no bed & a few of those inconveniences if you are as expected –Let me hear directly by return of post I long much to see you, & to get re-acquainted with you –
My dr Henry Your Affe
Henry Talbot Esqr
31 Sackville Street
1. Moreton, Dorset: home of the Frampton family.
2. Melbury, Dorset: one of the Fox Strangways family homes; WHFT was born there.
3. Henry Stephen Fox Strangways, 3rd Earl of Ilchester (1787–1858).
4. Armar Lowry-Corry (1801-1845), Viscount Corry until 1841, then 3rd Earl Belmore.
5. Lady Elisabeth Theresa Feilding, née Fox Strangways, first m Talbot (1773–1846), WHFT’s mother.
6. Blandford, a small historic market town on the River Stour in North Dorset district of Dorset, now noted for its Georgian architecture.