I was asked a question the other day which I could not
an answer, & the solution of the difficulty must come from you. I was applied to, as to when your money was to be paid in consequence of the failure of Hammersleys <1> Bank. Will you therefore be so good to inform me when you wish it to be paid, that I may give the necessary directions. – I was very glad to hear that you had not been much of a loser by Hammersley. –
How do you all bear this severe weather? Harriot <2> is pretty well again & Noel <3> is brilliant. We had last night the heaviest fall of snow that I have known here for years & every prospect of more, but it is much warmer of course, which is a comfort. With love to Constance <4> believe me
Ever yours truly
Janry 11th –
1. Hammersley & Company, bankers, London.
2. Harriot Georgiana Mundy, née Frampton (1806-1886), WHFT’s cousin & sister-in-law.
3. Francis Noel Mundy (1833–1903), WHFT’s nephew.
4. Constance Talbot, née Mundy (1811–1880), WHFT’s wife.
5. Markeaton Hall, Derbyshire, NW of Derby: home of the Mundy family.