Lower Mall Hammersmith
May 20th /52
My dear Sir
I have been staying at Sir John Lubbock’s <1> for a few days and was therefore not at Lord Rosse’s <2> soirée on Saturday; but I saw his Lordship yesterday and he has promised to speak to the Marquis of Lansdowne <3> and sound him on the subject.<4> It seems to be rather a prevalent opinion that your object would be more likely to be gained were your relinquishment of the patents not apparently subject to a condition, but on this point and on some others I should like to have some conversation with.[sic] If you will let me know when you are next in town I will meet you any afternoon you appoint at the Athenaeum.<5>
Yours very truly
1. Sir John William Lubbock, 3rd Baronet (1803–1865), mathematician & astronomer
2. William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse (1800–1867), astronomer & MP
3. Henry Petty Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne (1780–1863), MP, WHFT’s uncle.
4. This was in reference to the growing controversy over WHFT relinquishing his calotype patent.
5. The Athenaeum Club, Pall Mall, London; WHFT was also a member.